My mom used to make her own yogurt when I was a kid. A few years ago, I got sentimental and my cousin gave me a yogurt maker to try to recreate the experience. It took 4 attempts and 3 different recipes over the course of 3 years, but I finally figured out how to make Vietnamese yogurt in a yogurt machine!
This recipe yields the perfect amount (7 individual six-ounce glass jars) for my Euro cuisine yogurt maker and only uses a few ingredients resulting in the perfect Vietnamese yogurt that I don’t have to trek to The Tenderloin for. For this finally perfect batch, I used Longevity brand sweetened condensed milk, Strauss organic plain whole fat yogurt and 1% milk. I just bought Trader Joe’s brand organic sweetened condensed milk and will see if that makes any difference. And no, I haven’t figured out the yogurt function on the Instant Pot.
Vietnamese Yogurt (from whiteonricecouple.com)
- 1 can (14oz.) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1.5 cup very hot water
- 1.25 cup milk
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- In medium bowl, mix together can of sweetened condensed milk with very hot water.
- In a larger bowl, whisk milk and yogurt together until smooth.
- Pour condensed milk mixture into yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Pour into individual containers and incubate for 8 hours.
If you want more detailed instructions for making it on the stovetop without a yogurt maker, visit whiteonricecouple.com