6-Minute Mac & Cheese
When trolling Pinterest for dinner ideas, I always gag a little when I see pasta made in the crock pot. It always looks mushy, like cafeteria or hospital food. When I got my Instant Pot, I felt the same way. Pasta doesn’t take very long, why not just make it the usual way?
When my friend shared this macaroni and cheese recipe for the Instant Pot, I was incredibly skeptical. However, she said it was awesome and that her husband had said it was the best mac and cheese she’d ever made. Based on that recommendation, I had to give it a try. Besides, the ingredients are so basic that I almost always have everything I need on hand or can source it from the corner market.
Having made this twice in the last week, I can honestly say that boxed macaroni and cheese no longer has a place in my home. This method takes less time and uses all real ingredients. The most annoying thing is shredding the cheese (which I do in a food processor so its really just the cleaning that’s annoying) because you really never want to use pre-shredded cheese when making this (it’ll be a little gritty from the cellulose used to keep the shreds from sticking together).
You can experiment with different kinds of cheese (I used white cheddar this time) or adding spices (I kept it simple with a little garlic powder and pepper to finish). Last night, I served it with a side of meatballs since our little roommate is addicted to them.
6-Minute Macaroni & Cheese
- 3 cups elbow macaroni (I like the kind with ridges)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 2 Tbsps grated Parmesan
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 ounces cream cheese
1) Add macaroni, chicken stock, water, butter, Parmesan cheese and salt to the Instant Pot
2) Lock the lid and set for 6 minutes on HIGH.
3) Perform quick release to release the cooker pressure
4) Stir in grated cheddar cheese and cream cheese until both cheese are melted and creamy. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken before serving.
Seriously, that’s it!