Mushrooms, Greens & Toast from Smitten Kitchen
Since the baby arrived, I don’t spend as much time cooking and even less time documenting. In the 60-90 minutes we have between when we all get home and when she goes to bed, I try to spend that time with my family rather than in front of the stove…which means we eat fairly simple meals during the week: roasted vegetables and quick cooking meats, soups or stews prepared the previous Sunday, fish tacos or delivery.
This weeknight meal from Smitten Kitchen isn’t quite as simple as the those described above but can be prepared in fits and starts. I can prep and clean the vegetables the night before, start cooking the vegetables before Daddy gets home with N, hang out with the family and then finish with the bread and cheese as Daddy puts baby down for the night. And it goes great with a big glass of wine.
It is also a great way to get rid of leftover bread and cheese. I make this meal so often now that I keep a bag in the freezer for slices of leftover bread (olive loaf, ciabatta, sourdough). I use whatever cheese I find in the the cheese drawer (gruyere, cheddar, raclette and brie have all worked great. Skip the aged gouda). I buy a medley of mushrooms from the farmer’s market but plain brown or white work just fine. For the greens, I’ve used chard and kale. I’ve thought about asparagus or green beans but haven’t had a chance to try those yet. This is also great the next day or a few days later for breakfast…just put a fried egg on top! I don’t use exact measurements from the original recipe anymore…just a lot of mushrooms, a bunch of chard, a full onion and enough bread and cheese to cover the top.
ps The leftovers are AWESOME for breakfast. Just reheat and put a fried egg on top!
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 – 2 lbs mushrooms, torn or cut into bite sized pieces
- 4-5 thick slices bread from a large, crusty loaf
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 shallots or 1 small onion, diced
- 1-2 Tbsp white wine vinegar (red also works)
- red pepper flakes, salt & pepper
- 1 bunch chard or kale
- 8-12 ounces melting cheese (gruyere, raclette, cheddar, brie) cut into thick slices
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil a large, cast oven pot with a lid. Add mushrooms to pan and cook until they start to cook down. While this is happening, grill or toast your bread.
- Add onions/shallots and garlic until translucent. Add red pepper flakes and a splash or two of white wine vinegar. Salt & pepper to taste.
- If you want to turn the stove off to go do something else, now’s the time.
- Add the greens. Add another pat of butter or splash of vinegar if you want.
- Tear the bread into bite sized pieces. Once the greens are wilted down, place bread on top of the vegetable mixture and pat down. Place cheese evenly on top of the bread. If you need a little more moisture, throw in a splash of broth or water.
- Put lid on. Once your cheese is melted, you’re ready to eat!