Roasted Broccoli & Quinoa Salad
We just got back from our belated honeymoon in Peru: a few days acclimating to the altitude in Cusco, 4 days/3 nights hiking the Inca Trail, a few days relaxing at a resort & spa in the Sacred Valley and then New Year’s Even and another few days eating my weight in ceviche in Lima.
I knew the Inca Trail would be a personal challenge but at no point did I ever hit a wall, as I often do while running. Hiking the Inca Trail was an amazing experience: it allowed me the time to reflect on my own life, learn about the history of the Quechua/Inca, practice my terrible Spanish, and take in some crazy views that I will probably never experience again in this lifetime. When we finally arrived to Machu Picchu, I never wanted to leave…except a beer, shower and clean bed (in that order) sounded pretty good.
On Christmas Eve, the day before we embarked on the trail, we had lunch at Chicha, a Gaston Acurio restaurant in Cusco. We shared an amazing bowl that reminded me of a Peruvian take on Korean bibimbap: Peking-style roasted cuy (guinea pig), red quinoa, lightly pickled veggies, some spicy sauce and fried quail eggs in a bowl. The guinea pig was tasty–I expected it to taste similar to rabbit (which I don’t like) but instead, it reminded me of quail. YUM.
After a red-eye back from Lima, we were starving. I wandered around Whole Foods and picked up some really random groceries but somehow I ended up with red quinoa (something I’ve never cooked but was inspired to buy based on the cuy bowl), broccoli, feta and tomatoes. Google yielded a tasty looking recipe that I will be making many variations of moving forward. Tasty and filling!
Roasted Broccoli & Quinoa Salad (adapted from Beloved Green)
yields approximately 3-4 main servings. Since tomatoes aren’t great right now, I may try roasting the tomatoes next time to sweeten them up a bit.
- 1 bunch of broccoli
- 1 lemon
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Cut broccoli into florets. On a baking sheet, drizzle florets with olive oil and juice of half a lemon. Add tomatoes now if you want to roast them. Season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Roast in the oven for ~15 minutes or when broccoli begins to brown.
- Thoroughly rinse quinoa. Bring 2 cups of broth to a boil and add quinoa. Lower heat to simmer and cook until done (when the little tail comes out, ~15 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool for ~5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In a bowl, combine broccoli, quinoa, feta and tomatoes. Add extra lemon juice to taste and season with salt & pepper.