Triple Berry Jam w/Ginger
Several weeks ago, I bought three baskets of mixed berries for dessert. However, my friend just opened a new storefront for her wedding cake business, Pretty Please Bakeshop, so I stopped in and picked up an assortment of cupcakes, twinks and cookies for dessert instead. Since I’d be traveling for the entire week, I didn’t want the berries to go bad so I made jam!
I’d seen my mom make jam as a kid but I’d never made any myself. It took some time to find a recipe that didn’t require pectin, but a little Googling found a recipe to start from. I was worried about my jam being too sweet, so was very happy to find a recipe that didn’t include any white sugar.
This recipe yielded enough to fill a half pint jar plus a baby-food sized jar. I store my jam in the fridge so didn’t sterilize–just made sure the jar was fresh out of dishwasher. The extra jar is in the freezer for later. If your fruit isn’t as sweet, you’ll need to bump up the sugar. You can also substitute white sugar if you don’t have honey. I had an extra knob of ginger that I simmered with the mixture and then took out at the end…didn’t seem to add much flavor.
Triple Berry Jam
- 3 baskets fresh berries (I used blackberries, strawberries & raspberries)
- 3 Tbsps orange juice
- 2 Tbsps lemon juice
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsps freshly grated ginger
- Halve or quarter the strawberries.
- Add berries in a sauce pain and lightly mash the berries.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens.
- Fill jelly jars, let cool and store in the fridge.