Andrew Zimmern’s Countertop Dill Pickles
My second attempt at dill pickles yielded MUCH better results, thanks to Andrew Zimmern, who tweeted this recipe for his countertop pickles. My first batch was not crisp enough and too vinegary, but this one is perfect–crisp with just the right balance of salt, vinegar and spices. I won’t be buying Clausen pickles anymore!
- 3/4 cup white vinegar & 4 Tbsp kosher salt per quart of water
- Spices per half gallon jar:
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1.5 Tbsp pickling spices
- sprig of fresh dill or a few pinches of dried
- 2-3 dried chilies
- Wash and scrub small, firm cucumbers.
- Throw into jars.
- Boil water and cool it.
- Add vinegar and kosher salt. Stir to dissolve.
- Cover cucumbers in brine and leave on the counter for 48 hours.
- After 2 days, refrigerate in jars.