Pan-Roasted Shishito Peppers
One thing I’ve been obsessed with lately is shishito peppers and their cousins, padrona peppers (neither of which are spicy). I’ve had roasted shishito peppers as appetizers and padrona peppers on pizza at restaurants and really enjoyed them. I had never cooked them until last week when Joel picked up a few baskets for me from the Mission Community Market. He also picked up some pork belly ramen to go from HapaRamen for me:
For my first basket, I followed a recipe I found online that was waaaay too salty:
The peppers were cooked well but the salt was overwhelming. I washed off the peppers and was able to salvage them. The following day, I figured it out:
- Heat a tablespoon of canola oil in a hot pan
- Stir in a basket of peppers and toss until the peppers are coated with oil
- Cook for a few minutes…the skin will start to blister
- Stir in a teaspoon of sesame oil and continue until peppers are cooked
- Sprinkle salt & sesame seeds to taste!
Super easy…and addicting!