Bacon, Jalapeno & Cheddar Corn Muffins
Another treat from our 4th of July BBQ last weekend. These corn muffins have the light texture of your usual sweet cupcake but with the savory corn goodness of regular cornbread.
I made these in the morning so was able to enjoy one fresh out of the oven for breakfast. I don’t really like sweets, especially for breakfast. I would much rather have one of these muffins than a blueberry muffin. I might just put this into a pan next time–making cupcakes is kind of annoying.
Bacon, Jalapeno & Cheddar Corn Muffins (From Cooking Light May 2011)
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in bacon and jalapeño; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- Place 12 muffin-cup liners in muffin cups; coat with cooking spray. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack.
Note: My jalapeno wasn’t very spicy (jalapeno roulette) so I would add an extra half next time.