Spinach & Cheese Strata
I have no idea what a “strata” is, but that’s what Deb over at Smitten Kitchen called it. I would describe it as a breakfast bread pudding. My good friend made something similar for the morning after my 30th birthday…and I thought I’d give it a try.
My modifications from Deb’s recipe:
- I used a multi-grain seeded ciabatta from Trader Joe’s and three slices of wheat toast for the bread.
- I also added one leek and two slices of ham I had in the fridge.
- I also used non-fat milk since that’s what I had on hand, but would use low-fat milk in the future to make it a little less dry.
- I used a 9×13 pyrex glass.
- In the future, I would probably add two more eggs, omit the onions, use more spinach, and throw in some bacon & mushrooms.
I had made this the night before with the intention of having company over for brunch the next morning (served w/bacon on the side and many, many mimosas). However, when I woke up that morning I was pretty sick and so we canceled brunch (boo!). When I got out of bed later that day, I threw it in the oven and we had it for a late lunch, which was still pretty good. However, this is way too much for two people…we had it for breakfast for the next several mornings. I served it with some sauteed mushrooms, a dollop of mascarpone cheese, some bacon jam (basically a bacon & onion compote), and a couple splashes of Frank’s Red Hot.
Overall, this is a good base recipe that I will use again in the future…but only if we are having company over for brunch.